10 Most Patriotic Movies to Watch This Fourth of July
Want to ditch the barbecue and stay on the couch? Here's a list of movies you can watch and still stay in the holiday spirit!
1. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" – When Jefferson Smith is appointed to fill a vacancy in the U.S. Senate, he is quickly discouraged by the corruption he meets. Still, he is determined to fight for a democratic government – a fight that truly embodies the spirit of Independence Day.
James Stewart gives a passionate speech to Congress:
2. "Yankee Doodle Dandy" – George M. Cohan goes from rags to riches as an entertainer in this film based on the American dream.
Yankee Doodle Boy Performance:
3. "Rocky IV" – From the flag-patterned shorts to James Brown’s performance of “Living in America,” Rocky’s showdown with his Russian opponent is as pro-America as it gets.
James Brown – Living in America Live Performance in “Rocky IV”
4. "Saving Private Ryan" – Beginning on the beaches of Normandy, this World War II flick follows an army captain’s search for the last remaining brother of a family of soldiers. Sacrifice, dedication and bravery are three American values that make Saving Private Ryan incredibly patriotic.
George C. Marshall reads Abraham Lincoln’s Letter to a Grieving Mother:
5. "The Patriot" - A family loss encourages Mel Gibson to join the fight in this film about the American Revolution, the war that led to the basis of Independence Day.
Mel Gibson finds a patched up flag in his son’s saddlebags:
6. "Born on the Fourth of July" – After a Vietnam veteran is paralyzed, he becomes an anti-war crusader and demonstrates the importance of standing up for what you believe in: a truly American principle.
The Homecoming Speech:
7. "Team America: World Police" – “America, F--- Yeah!” is the motto of Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s puppet comedy about slaying terrorists. What’s more American than that?
“America, F--- Yeah!” Theme Song (censored):
8."United 93" – The bravery of the Americans on Flight 93 who prevented an even greater tragedy on September 11th is documented in this film, which is sure to make everyone even prouder to be an American.
Ending hijacking scene:
9. "Field of Dreams" – Nothing is more American than baseball, and watching “Field of Dreams” on the 4th of July will remind you why.
“People Will Come” Speech:
10. "Independence Day" – It might be about an alien invasion, but Bill Pullman’s presidential speech in “Independence Day” rallied the world around July 4th as a global holiday.
Bill Pullman’s Presidential Speech: