British Mag NME Says Joy Division’s “Love Will Tear Us Apart” is Best Song of Last 60 Years
To commemorate their 60th birthday, British Music Magazine NME put together a list of the top 100 songs in their "lifetime"-- so the best songs in the past 60 years. Even taking into account their leaning toward British artists, the list is likely to stir up controversy and get people talking. Their number one pick? Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart"-- beating out Michael Jackson, the Beach Boys, and The Beatles-- The Fab Four didn't even make the top ten!
What do you think of their choice?
From the magazine who declares itself to be "the world's greatest music magazine" , here are NME's top 20 picks:
1. Joy Division – 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'
2. Pulp – 'Common People'
3. David Bowie – '"Heroes"'
4. The Beach Boys – 'Good Vibratons'
5. New Order – 'Blue Monday'
6. The Stone Roses – 'She Bangs The Drums'
7. The Smiths – 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'
8. The Specials – 'Ghost Town'
9. Dizzee Rascal – 'Fix Up, Look Sharp'
10. Oasis – 'Wonderwall'
11. The Rolling Stones – 'Sympathy For The Devil'
12. The Ronettes – 'Be My Baby'
13. Michael Jackson – 'Billie Jean'
14. Sex Pistols – 'God Save The Queen'
15. The Beatles – 'A Day In The Life'
16. The Cure – 'Boys Don't Cry'
17. Bob Dylan – 'Like A Rolling Stone'
18. The Beach Boys – 'God Only Knows'
19. Madonna – 'Like A Prayer'
20. The Stone Roses – 'I Am The Resurrection'
Thoughts? What would you say is the the best song of the last 60 years?