Christmas Tree Recycling Information
Hope you and the family had a Merry Christmas!
Too soon, January will be here, we’ll be breaking new years resolutions and again having to work a whole five days in a row! That means you’ll soon be taking down decorations and will need need a place for the Christmas tree.
Instead of putting it in the trash and sending it to the landfill, recycle it! Just be sure to remove all lights, ornaments and tinsel before you drop it off at the recycling area.
Here’s where and when you can recycle your tree:
Through December 30th, you can take your tree to the Holiday Inn Downtown Grand Rapids (Pearl at 131) during regular business hours. Just toss the tree into the waste container on the east side of the hotel. The trees will be processed into mulch by Spurt Industries.
If you won’t be ready to take the tree down before December 30th, there are several other options. Remember that many of the city or township locations are for residents only.
- Riverside Park (North Entrance) – 2001 Monroe Ave. NE
- Jaycee McKay Family Park, 2531 Kalamazoo Ave. SE
- Lincoln Park, 398 Garfield Ave. NW
- Huff Park, 2286 Ball Ave. NE
Or attach a $1.50 city bulk yard waste tag (purple tag) to the tree and put it in your usual trash pickup area by 7am on your regular collection day. Trees MUST be properly tagged. If you have questions, call Public Services at 456-3232.
East Grand Rapids
- Place trees in your usual collection area between Monday, Jan. 2 and Friday, Jan. 13.
- Verslius Park, 6161 Belmont Ave. NE. Drop-off allowed Dec. 26 though Jan. 29.
- Ada Township Park (back lot), 1180 Buttrick Ave. SE, through Monday, Jan. 13.
- Department of Public Works, 5608 Breton Ave. SE during business hours, Dec. 26 to Jan. 31.
- Wyoming Public Service Center, 2660 Burlingame Ave. SW – Saturdays during the daytime on Dec. 31, Jan. 7 and Jan. 14.
- City Hall, 4243 Remembrance Road NW
- Walker Community Park, 650 Cummings Ave. NW
- Fire Station No. 3, 1470 Three Mile Road NW
- Drop-offs allowed through Jan. 23 at the above locations.
- Public Works Building, 4095 White St. – Monday through Friday, 8:30a-3:30p. The gate will also be opened every Saturday in January from 8a to 4p
- Wittenbach Wege Center, 11715 Vergennes – before 12noon on Sunday, January 8th. Trees will be shredded and used for mulch around the center. No trees will be accepted after that time.