Grand Rapids Griffins Jersey Design Contest Returns
What if the Grand Rapids Griffins existed in the '80s? What would their uniforms look like?
If you have an idea, you can enter this year's Griffs jersey design contest.
The jersey will part of what the Griffins are calling a 'Fauxback' Theme Night. A pretend '80s Throwback Night to an era where the team didn't exist. And they want a jersey that looks like the Griffins might have looked like had they been around in 1984. And just think, they would have been playing at the old Stadium Arena (now the Deltaplex)!
The jersey will have blend with the team's red pants and red helmets, so that's something to keep in mind. The judging is again being done by the UniWatch web site, which devotes itself to the design and aesthetics of pro and college sports teams.
Not only will the winner have the Griffins wear their jersey, but will receive tickets to the game, a behind the scenes experience, and a personalized jersey to keep.
Here are the basic rules of the competition and the deadlines via UniWatch:
Submissions will be accepted from today through August 15th, 2017 (by 6:00 pm E.D.T.)
Reader voting will begin August 17, and continue on August 18, August 21 and August 22 (I’m expecting we will be breaking the submissions into four sets).
The top three vote getters from each set (for a total of 12) will be reviewed by the Griffins on August 23rd, and the winner will be announced on Uni Watch and Griffins social media on August 25th.
• Create a brand new design for a Griffins alternate jersey (remember: you are ONLY designing a jersey, not a full uniform).
• DO NOT USE current or previous Grand Rapids Griffins logos or previous Griffins jersey design contest winning logo designs. Your work must be original.
• The jersey color must be red or black.
• This jersey will be part of an ’80s Fauxback Theme Night. If the Griffins existed in the 1980s, what would the jerseys have looked like?
• Use official team colors – CMYK Colors: Red 12/100/92/3, Gray 31/25/26/0, Gold 43/49/76/21, Black 75/68/67/90, White 0/0/0/0.
• Readers will be allowed to vote once per day during the voting period.
• The top 12 designs as voted by readers will be the finalists.
• The Griffins staff and ownership will choose at least one winning design, which will be worn on January 12, 2018.
• The winning jersey design will become the property of the Grand Rapids Griffins.
• The Griffins reserve the right to make design modifications to the winning design as needed.
• The winner will receive a personalized version of their jersey and tickets to the game that the Griffins will be playing in the jerseys.
• LIMIT ONE DESIGN SUBMISSION per reader.
• Designs may be submitted as .jpg, .png or .pdf files.
• E-mail your entry to me (Phil Hecken) as an attachment to: Phil.Hecken@gmail.com; please label your submission “FirstnameLastname-GRGContest”
• It is strongly encouraged that you place your name or some sort of ID on your entry.
• One image (you may include multiple angles, such as front and back) per submission.
Last year's winner was Dan Kennedy, and here's a look as his winning design, and the night he was treated to at the Griffs game when they wore his winning design.