Looking Forward to the Next Holiday Weekend: Labor Day
The summer is midway through practically, although it’s only mid-July.
Soon, Labor Day will be upon us here in West Michigan, which means a long, last weekend of summer and more time off for the rank and file.
To help be prepared for Labor Day falling early this year on Sept. 1, here’s a list of federal, state, county, city and local closings:
- All federal, state, county, city, village and township offices: closed.
- State unemployment offices closed, but MARVIN will still be running.
- U.S. Postal Service offices and branches: closed.
- Public schools: closed; regular academic year for most schools starts Sept. 2.
- Michigan state parks: open.
- The Rapid: closed, no buses running.
- Municipal trash pickup: Pushed back one day with no service on Labor Day.
- Banks and credit unions: closed.
- Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids: closed
- Kent District Library branches: closed
- Grand Rapids Art Museum and Grand Rapids Public Museum: closed.
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum: open 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Retail centers — Centerpointe Mall in Kentwood; The Crossroads Mall in Kalamazoo; The Lakes Mall in Muskegon; Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek; RiverTown Crossings in Grandville; Westshore Mall in Holland; and Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids: open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- John Ball Zoo, Grand Rapids: open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (regular hours).
- Michigan’s Adventure & WildWater Adventure, Muskegon: open 11 a.m.-7 p.m. (regular hours)
- AJ’s Family Fun Park, Comstock Park: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Big Dip Waterpark, Grand Rapids: regular hours for pool (slide closed).
- Gold Rush Waterpark, Rothbury: regular hours.
- Holland Community Aquatic Center, Holland: closed.
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids: closed.
- Grocery stores – Aldi’s, Ashcroft Grocery, Asian Delight, Brookside Grocery, D&W Fresh Market, DeMond’s, Dollar General, Duthler’s Family Foods, E&A Grocery, Family Dollar, Family Fare, Fennville Main Street Market, Forest Hills Foods, Gene’s Family Market, Grand Rapids Downtown Market, The Grocery Outlet, Harding’s Friendly Markets, Hamilton Food Center, Horrock’s, J&R Grocery, Jorgi’s, Kingma’s, Leppink’s, Meijer, Oliver’s, Plumb’s, Ralph’s, Ravenna Foods, Save-A-Lot, Shop-N-Save, Target, Tom’s, Village Market and Walmart: Regular hours.
And looking ahead for all you holiday lovers out there, here’s where and when other holidays fall for the remainder of the year:
- Veteran’s Day — Nov. 11, a Tuesday; the official federal holiday is Nov. 10, a Monday.
- Thanksgiving — Nov. 27, the fourth Thursday in November.
- Christmas — Dec. 25, a Thursday.
- New Year’s — Jan. 1, 2015, a Thursday.