Replica of Vietnam Veterans Memorial in West Michigan This Weekend
The Wall That Heals, a half-scale replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., is coming to West Michigan this weekend.
Grand Valley State University welcomes The Wall That Heals which was built in 1996 by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund. It has visited more than 400 cities and towns throughout the nation. The wall arrives in Grand Rapids on Sept. 20 and will be on display to the public from Sept. 21-24 at Fifth Third Ballpark.
Thursday, September 21
- The wall will be at GVSU's Allendale Campus in Parking Lot H starting at 6:30am before being escorted to Grand Rapids at 9am.
- Around 10am the wall will head past Rosa Parks Circle on Monroe Ave. in downtown Grand Rapids.
- The Wall That Heals opens to public viewing at 6pm at Fifth Third Ballpark.
Saturday, September 23
- LZ Michigan (Landing Zone) from noon - 8:30pm at Fifth Third Ballpark. This event will feature speakers, military displays and maps, music, entertainment, kid's activities, PBS Kids characters and more. Representatives from the Human Hug Project, which brings awareness to PTSD, will be there. Free tickets for LZ Michigan are available at Family Fare, D&W stores and Forest Hills Foods. Parking on Saturday is $5.
Sunday, September 24
- Closing ceremony at 3pm at Fifth Third Ballpark.