Tony Stewart Will Not Race in NASCAR’s Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway On Sunday
Stewart is skipping his second NASCAR Sprint Cup race since hitting and killing a driver in a dirt track race at a New York track last week.
Statement from Stewart-Haas Racing regarding plans for the No. 14 team at Michigan. pic.twitter.com/YGonuuifio
— Stewart-Haas Racing (@StewartHaasRcng) August 14, 2014
Jeff Burton will drive his car in Michigan.
Stewart also sat out last Sunday’s NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, N.Y., a day after he struck and killed Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car event last Saturday in Canandaigua, N.Y.
Stewart’s dirt racing career is on hold and it isn’t yet known if he will face criminal charges as a result of the incident. He has not commented since Sunday, when he made a statement on the incident.
In the statement, Stewart said that “there aren’t words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward, Jr.”
In New York, Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero has said that investigators don’t have any evidence at this point to support criminal intent. The investigation could last another two weeks, he said.