Want a Job with the City of Grand Rapids?
Over 300 City of Grand Rapids workers are retiring in the next few years-- and that means job openings for you!
So what kind of jobs are they? And what do they pay?
Many of the jobs do require certain skill sets. Mari Beth Jelks managing director of Administrative Services, told WOOD-TV 8,
Skilled trades is one of the areas we really are suffering in because there’s a scarcity in the state of Michigan... We’re talking about electricians, mechanics... When we bring in new people and hire new people, they have to be multifaceted in their talents and capabilities and skills.”
Some jobs are entry level, while others require advanced degrees.
So let's dig into it. What jobs are open right now? (Requirements listed are the basic ones-- find out all the information by clicking on the position)
Here are some of the gigs available, at different salary levels:
- Human Resources Director $94-$120K Requirements: Bachelor's degree in business or public administration, liberal arts or related field and three years of progressively responsible professional experience.
- Signal and Lighting Superintendent $74-$95K Requirements: Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and five years of experience in electrical engineering.
- Journeyman Lineworker 43K-$56K Requirements: Graduation from high school with courses in electricity and electronics, possession of State of Michigan Journeyman Electrician License.
- Real & Personal Property Appraiser III $53K-$70K Requirements:Graduation from high school, possession of Michigan Advanced Assessing Officer (3) certification.
- Utility Maintenance Mechanic I/II $37K-$47K Requirements: Graduation from high school and one year of experience in work related to plant maintenance.
- Office Assistant III $34K-$47K Requirements: Graduation from high school and at least three years of related clerical/secretarial experience.
- Public Works Maintenance, Grand Rapids Public Library $13.48- $14.58 hourly Requirements: Graduation from high school, five years of experience in building maintenance.