Want a Job with the City of Grand Rapids?
Over 300 City of Grand Rapids workers are retiring in the next few years-- and that means job openings for you!
So what kind of jobs are they? And what do they pay?
Many of the jobs do require certain skill sets. Mari Beth Jelks managing director of Administrative Services, told WOOD-TV 8,
Skilled trades is one of the areas we really are suffering in because there’s a scarcity in the state of Michigan... We’re talking about electricians, mechanics... When we bring in new people and hire new people, they have to be multifaceted in their talents and capabilities and skills.”
Some jobs are entry level, while others require advanced degrees.
So let's dig into it. What jobs are open right now? (Requirements listed are the basic ones-- find out all the information by clicking on the position)
Here are some of the gigs available, at different salary levels:
- Wastewater/ Water Plant Supervisor $74K- $95K Requirements: Bachelor's degree in chemistry, bio-chemistry, or other related science, five years of experience related to wastewater treatment activities
- Equipment Maintenance Superintendant $67K-$86K Requirements: Graduation from trade school with associate's degree in Automobile or Diesel Truck Repair, with eight years experience in mechanical repair, and five years supervisory experience
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic $44K-$57K Requirements:Graduation from high school and/or trade school with training in automotive or diesel engine repairs and technology, four years of experience in performing heavy equipment mechanical repair and maintenance, possession of a valid Michigan Commercial Driver's License
- Journeyman Lineworker 43K-$56K Requirements: Graduation from high school with courses in electricity and electronics, possession of State of Michigan Journeyman Electrician License.
- Meter Reader I $34K-$44K Requirements: Graduation from high school, experience interacting with public
- Tree Trimmer Aide $28K-$38K Requirements: Graduation from high school or GED, Possession of valid Driver's License.
- Library Assistant $19.66-$21.26 hourly Requirements: Bachelor's degree or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- Public Works Maintenance, Grand Rapids Public Library $13.48- $14.58 hourly Requirements: Graduation from high school, five years of experience in building maintenance.