Every State Has Weird Laws – Here’s Michigan’s
It’s that time again. The time where we get a good look into the law books of the great states in our union, and gawk in-awe of some of the ridiculous things that are deemed “illegal” in them.
You can find a complete state-to-state list of the weirdest laws in each on Thrillist, but we’ve got some of the highlights for you here:
- Alaska – If you kill a moose, on-purpose or not, you must make an effort to salvage and use the meat.
- Arkansas - “No person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9pm.”
- Connecticut – Unless it’s in the privacy of your own home, there’s no “silly string” allowed in the town of Southington.
- Hawaii – There’s no drinking on the beach, and…no…drinking while in the ocean isn’t a way to skirt that one.
- Indiana – You’re not allowed to catch a fish with “a firearm” or with “the hands alone.”
- Iowa – Imitation butter can’t be called “butter” or even described with the words “butter,” “creamery,” or “dairy.”
- Kentucky – You can’t sell those dyed baby chicks you see around Easter, unless you’re selling them in a package of six or more.
- Louisiana – Don’t steal crayfish, and you’re not allow to order a “surprise” food product for someone else – like a birthday pizza.
- Michigan – Travelling by train tipsy is a no-no.
- Nebraska – No drinks are allowed that mix beer and liquor…drink them separately.
- Oklahoma – No making glue out of dead skunks.
- Pennsylvania – You can’t catch a fish with your mouth. Really.
- Tennessee – Don’t get caught using someone else’s Netflix account.
- Utah – No buying or selling booze during an “emergency.
Michigan's law doesn't seem terribly weird to me. Drunk on a train? It doesn't seem like a bad idea to keep that behavior nullified, so I dug up some more weird Michigan laws.
A woman isn’t allowed to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.
No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison.
Couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple’s own property. (Detroit)
Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited. (Detroit)
It is illegal to let your pig run free in Detroit unless it has a ring in its nose.
No person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five- dollar fine for each offense. (Grand Haven)