Yum! Grand Rapids’ Poutine Week Has Kicked Off
Love poutine? Good news! You've got through October 2 to enjoy different poutine dishes from restaurants along Michigan Street in Grand Rapids.
For the first time since its inception in 2020, Michigan Street Poutine Week coincides with Art Prize.
Poutine offerings this year include duck confit, buffalo chicken, al pastor, breakfast, even poutine with corned beef. Check out the yummy poutine creations the competitors have come up with this year below!
What Is Poutine?
If you've never had poutine, simply put, it's French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. It started in Quebec, Canada in the 1950s, but has become a Midwestern staple throughout the years.
According to the Farmer's Almanac,
Its name comes from a Quebecois slang word meaning 'mess', and one popular story posits that Warwick restaurateur Fernand Lachance created it in 1957 at the request of longtime customer Eddy Lainesse. While making the dish, Lachance is said to have exclaimed, Ca va faire une maudite poutine! (Roughly translated: 'It will make a damn mess!).
As with any dish, there are tons of variations on poutine. I've seen it made with sweet potato fries instead of regular fries, or with different toppings like bacon, avocado, onion, sausage, mushrooms, jalapenos, fried eggs - the list goes on!
Grand Rapids' Michigan Street Poutine Week Sept. 15 - Oct. 2, 2022
Lots of creative dishes are being offered at Michigan Street's Poutine Week!
The friendly competition among locally owned businesses on Michigan Street (and nearby) is on now through October 2, 2022. So while you're checking out Art Prize in Grand Rapids, you can stuff your face with delicious poutine!
Here are the restaurants participating this year and what kind of poutine they're serving up:
- 7Monks Taproom- Poutine Is For The Birds: shoestring fries, white cheddar cheese curds, white cheddar duck gravy, duck confit, chives, orange supreme, simple salad, and orange zest.
- Birch Lodge- Tater tots, cheese curds, spicy sausage gravy, fried egg on top, topped with bacon and green onion.
- Bob's Bar- Smoked brisket poutine with gravy, cheddar cheese curds and topped with French fried onions.
- Friesian Gastro Pub- House cut fries, queso fresco, queso blanco, salsa verde, grilled al pastor, and pineapple salsa topped with cotija cheese.
- Glass House- Buffalo Chicken Poutine: French fries with cheese curds, buffalo gravy, chives and a sprinkling of Bbue cheese, served with a chicken tender and buffalo Sauce.
- Grand Coney- Irish Poutine: seasoned waffle fries with slow-cooked, pulled corned beef topped with brown gravy and cheese curds.
- Kaffeine- Korean-Style Fried Spicy Chicken with miso and sweet potato fries, and cheese gravy.
- Logan's Alley- The Red Eye: sidewinder fries, red-eye chorizo gravy, white cheddar cheese curds, an egg, and fresh jalapeños.
- Maggie's- Golden fresh cut fries, topped with homemade beef gravy, cheese curds, and a scallion garnish.
- Vander Mill- Canexican Poutine: French fries with fried cheese curds, cheese sauce, and pico de gallo.
Once you've tried the different poutine dishes, you can vote for your favorite here!