It’s Odd/Even Parking Time in Grand Rapids
Odd/Even parking restrictions on the streets of Grand Rapids went into effect on Monday, November 1st. A total of 158 people found tickets on their windshields to start their week.
Remember the phrase "Think ahead before bed". Here is how it works...
- On even dates, make sure you are parked on the side of the street with even addresses from 1 am-6 pm
- On odd dates, park on the side of the street with odd addresses from 1 am-6 pm
- For 7 hours each night, from 6 pm to 1 am each day, you can park on BOTH sides of the street. Just make sure before bed, you have your car parked on the correct side of the street.
- These restrictions will last until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 1st, 2022.
The odd even parking restrictions are put in to place to allow things like city street sweepers and snowplows easier access to neighborhood streets. They need this access to clear leaves and snow. It also helps to prevent the streets from flooding in the winter due to clogged drains. Plus, it helps emergency vehicles access neighborhoods during the winter season.
We've all seen some of those side roads that get narrower with every snowfall because the plows haven't been able to properly clear the roads. If cars are parked where they shouldn't be, the snowplows just have to plow around the vehicle.
If you are caught with your vehicle parked on the wrong side of the road, it is a $20 ticket. Almost 160 people found that out on Monday morning.
If you would like to report an odd/even parking complaint, you can do one of the following:
- Use the “grcity 311” app on either IOS or Android app stores
- Use the “Report an Issue” webpage
- Call 311 or (616) 456-3000
For more information, check out the City of Grand Rapids' website.