What IS That? Free Wild Mushroom Identification Classes Coming to West Michigan
Want to get better at identifying Michigan's wild mushrooms? There are free classes for that!
Free Wild Mushroom Identification Classes at Kent District Libraries
The state-certified Wild Mushroom Experts from Mycophile's Garden will be hosting free identification classes at Kent District Library locations in March and April.
You'll learn about proper terminology and the skills and resources needed to accurately identify many of the 2,500 mushroom species in Michigan.
The class will focus on the more easily identifiable and choice edible species, as well as resources for identifying toxic species in Michigan.
Each class is one hour and will be at the following locations:
- Thursday March 9th 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Ada library
- Wednesday March 15th 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Lowell library
- Monday March 20th 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at East Grand Rapids library
- Monday April 3rd 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Alpine library
- Thursday April 6th 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Spencer library
- Tuesday April 11th 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Alto library
- Thursday April 13th 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Grandville library
More Mushroom Classes in West Michigan
If those dates and times don't work for you, Mycophile's Garden is hosting another identification class at Georgetown Township Public Library in Jenison on May 10th from 6:30-7:30p.m.
They also have upcoming free cultivation classes:
- Flat River Community Library in Greenville on March 21st 6:00-7:30p.m.
- Lyon Township Public Library on May 15th 6:30-8:00p.m.
If you're interested in more in-depth study of mushrooms, they're holding a series of more advanced, detailed classes scheduled at Blandford Nature Center that do require a registration fee:
- Identification- Saturday April 15th 1-3:30 pm
- Identification - Thursday May 11th 5:30-8:00 pm
- Intro to Cultivation- Wednesday June 3rd 5:30-7:30
You can find out more here.
Mycophile's Garden also teaches cultivation and identification classes at their own facility. More information here.