4 Of The Country’s Largest Native American Tribes Are In Michigan
There are 574 federally recognized Native American tribes in the US. Today, there are over five million Native Americans in the country, 78% of whom live outside of reservations.
Using 2019 estimates from the US census, Stacker has created a list of 42 of the largest Native American tribes in the country today. 4 of those tribes are located in Michigan.
What Are The Largest Native American Tribes In Michigan?
- Tribe alone or in any combination: 13,866
- Tribe alone: 6,295
The name "Ottawa" originates from the word "adawe," meaning to trade. Along with trade, the Ottawa were highly skilled fishermen, primarily using nets in the bodies of water within the Great Lakes region. The tribe originally claimed territory around the coastal areas of the lower peninsula of Michigan.
- Tribe alone or in any combination: 14,290
- Tribe alone: 9,495
Residing in the Midwest in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois, the Menominee have a legacy of being experts in agriculture and trapping.
- Tribe alone or in any combination: 43,481
- Tribe alone: 21,297
The Potawatomi are related to the Ottawa and the Ojibwa. The tribe lived seasonally, moving between different villages during winter and summer and shifting crops based on the season. The Potawatomi and villages included shamans and other types of spiritual leaders.
- Tribe alone or in any combination: 214,026
- Tribe alone: 119,229
The Chippewa are closely related to the Ottawa, Potawatomi, and other Algonquian-speaking tribes. Historically, they lived around Lake Superior and, for the most part, have remained. The Chippewa were highly involved in the fur trade with the French and often intermarried with French fur traders.
The federal government currently recognizes 12 Native American tribes in Michigan.
What Are The Recognized Tribes In Michigan?
- Bay Mills Chippewa Indian Community
- Grand Traverse Bay Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians
- Hannahville Indian Community Band of Potawatomi
- Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, Lake Superior Band of Chippewa Indians
- Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
- Little River Band of Ottawa Indians
- Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians
- Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band of Potawatomi Indians of Michigan
- Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi
- Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians
- Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe
- Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians