Strange Michigan Law: No Car Sales on Sunday
How many times have you been looking for a new (or used) car and only had free time on the weekend to do so? Have you wondered why there are no car dealerships open on Sunday? Well, believe it or not, it’s against the law to sell, trade, or buy a motor vehicle on Sunday in the state of Michigan!
The law was enacted back in 1953. The law (435.251 Motor vehicles; sale on Sunday unlawful, exception.) reads, “It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to engage in the business of buying, selling, trading or exchanging new, used or second-hand motor vehicles or offering to buy, sell, trade or exchange, or participate in the negotiation thereof, or attempt to buy, sell, trade or exchange any motor vehicle or interest therein, or of any written instrument pertaining thereto, on the first day of the week, commonly called Sunday."
That may be a weird law, but there are other states with even stranger laws than that. For example:
- In Alabama, it's illegal to drive blindfolded. (I see no problem in having a law like this, but was it such an issue a law had to be written and put on the books?)
- In Arizona , it's illegal for a donkey to sleep in a bathtub.
- In Colorado, it is illegal to keep a couch on your porch. (Once again, probably not a bad law!)
- In Hawaii, it's illegal to place a coin in one's ear.
- In Indiana, it's illegal to ride a horse faster than 10 miles per house.
- In Kentucky, a woman is not allowed marry more than three times.
- In Minnesota, dirty tires are banned.
- In New Jersey, it’s against the law to wear a bullet-proof vests while committing a crime.
- In North Carolina, you can not play bingo if you are drunk.
- In Tennessee, it's illegal to share your Netflix password.
- In Virginia, there’s no trick-or-treating if you're over 12 years old.
Those are just a few examples. If you would like to see the craziest laws in all 50 of our United States, MSN has put together their list.
Even Junior Samples couldn't sell cars on Sunday in Michigan...