These are Kent County’s Most Dangerous Intersections
Each year, the Michigan Auto Law attorneys share the most dangerous intersections in Kent County, based on Michigan State Police and local law enforcement car accident reports for 2020.
It's good to have this info so we can be extra cautious when driving through these areas! According to Michigan Auto Law, a third of all fatal crashes in Michigan in 2019 occurred at intersections.
Coming in at No. 1 and No. 2 in Kent County, there are two Grand Rapids intersections that are ranked among the ten most dangerous intersections in the whole state: US 131 @ Wealthy St. came in third; Burton St SW @ US 131 came in sixth.
In 2020, COVID-19 had a substantial impact on car accidents. With more people working from home and less people on the roads, there were less crashes in Michigan in 2020 overall. However, Michigan Auto Law points out,
What was surprising was that we saw an increase in the number of motor vehicle accident-related deaths in Michigan. There were 1,084 auto accident and traffic-related fatalities in 2020 – the highest number reported since 2007.
It was not just drivers and passengers who were affected:
- Bicyclist fatalities jumped 81% in 2020.
- Motorcyclist fatalities increased 25%.
- Pedestrian fatalities climbed 17%.
Below are the most dangerous intersection in Kent County, based on the data Michigan Auto Law collected.
As with past years, many of the intersections are along 28th Street and highway interchanges:
- US 131 @ Wealthy St. - Grand Rapids, 114 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
- Burton St. SW @ US 131- Grand Rapids, 89 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
- 28th St. SE @ S. Division Ave - Grand Rapids, 66 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- 28th St. SE @ Breton Rd SE - Grand Rapids, 55 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- 28th St. SE @ Kalamazoo Ave. SE - Grand Rapids, 54 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
- 28th St. SE @ Broadmoor Ave SE - Grand Rapids, 51 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries
- 54th St. SW @ Kellogg Woods Dr. SE - Kentwood, 48 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- 28th St. SW @ Clyde Park Ave. SW - Wyoming, 47 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- 28th St. SE @ Eastern Ave. SE - Grand Rapids, 46 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- I-196 @ US 131- Grand Rapids, 44 Total Crashes, 3 Injuries