What To Do If You Win Powerball
We are all dreaming of winning that ridiculously huge $1.3 billion Powerball jackpot. Some have made lists of who they would give money to or what charity to gift, but there are some steps to take that are more important.
The financial advice site, NerdWallet has these ideas for how to handle your big win, when it all fgoes daown Wednesday night. And it will, because I believe in you. And I also believe you'll give me a million dollars for sharing these tips with you.
- Keep it to yourself. If you score the money, change your number, don’t tell anyone, get a security system and maybe hire security for your home. Seriously. People will be coming out of the woodwork to ask for money and handing out $100 bills can make the pile disappear fast.
- Review your family tree and beneficiary information. Pull paperwork from every investment. Life insurance policy and IRA. Makes sure you’ve left it to the right people, then set up a trust for the winnings. Wolves won’t break through that!
- Prepare to pay taxes. Unless you live in one of the few states that don’t have an income tax, plan on it!
- It is common knowledge that past winners usually go broke quick. Google them to be aware of the pitfalls.
- Use common sense. That may seem like a no-brainer but money makes people crazy. Hire a trusted money manager.