Allendale, Belding and Wyoming Schools Among Michigan’s Healthiest
West Michigan schools are among 38 in Michigan being recognized for bringing healthy food, activities and lifestyles to their students.
The Michigan Health and Wellness 4 x 4 Plan encourages schools to build healthier environments for students. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and Governor Rick Snyder are recognizing 38 Michigan schools for fostering healthy eating, physical activity habits, and tobacco-free lifestyles among students.
"When Michigan schools promote healthy lifestyles, it helps reduce childhood obesity and encourages children to adapt their healthy habits that improve their future health outcomes," said Nick Lyon, director of the MDHHS.
The Michigan School Wellness Award program aims to engage schools statewide in creating healthy school environments by establishing School Wellness Teams, completing the Healthy School Action Tools, and implementing sustainable policy and environmental changes.
Schools that have achieved all of these elements are recognized with the top level Gold award.
The winners of this year’s School Wellness Awards include:
- Fairview STEM in Lansing
- Fremont School in Battle Creek
- Hillel Day School in Farmington Hills
- Laker Middle/High School in Pigeon
- New Haven High School
- Prairieview School in Battle Creek
- Reeths-Puffer Elementary School in Muskegon
- Unionville-Sebewaing Elementary School in Unionville
- Valley View Elementary School in Springfield
- Vista Charter Academy in Wyoming
- Washington Elementary School in Charlotte
- Woodview Elementary School in Belding
- Allendale Middle School
- Belding Middle School
- Clarenceville Middle School in Livonia
- Fred W. Ritter Elementary School in Carleton
- Roosevelt Elementary School in Keego Harbor
- Torrey Hill Intermediate School in Fenton
- Universal Learning Academy in Westland
- White Pine Middle School in Saginaw
- Atherton Elementary School in Burton
- Bendle Senior High School in Burton
- Carstens Elementary School in Detroit
- Cass Elementary School in Livonia
- Cleveland Elementary School in Livonia
- Grayson Elementary School in Waterford
- Holmes Elementary School in Ypsilanti
- Hughes Elementary School in Marshall
- Clemens Montessori Academy
- Northwest High School in Jackson
- Powell Middle School in Washington
- Pullman Elementary School
- W. Kidder Middle School in Jackson
- Rockwell School in Warren
- Walters Elementary in Marshall
- Whitefish Township School in Paradise
- Woodlands Developmental Center in Marysville
- Yake Elementary School in Woodhaven
MDHHS, in collaboration with the Michigan Department of Education, the United Dairy Industry of Michigan, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Michigan Action for Healthy Kids, and the Healthy Kids, Healthy Michigan Coalition today recognized Michigan’s award-winning schools at a special ceremony at the State Capitol.