Michigan Secretary of State Offices Move to Appointment Only & Only For Certain Services
The Michigan Secretary of State has announced that to protect the health and safety of the public and staff during the COVID-19 outbreak they are moving to appointment only and only for specific services.
The services that must be done in-person by appointment are as follows:
Certain driver's license/state ID transactions:
- Issuance of first-time CDL license.
- Issuance of CDL endorsements (such as hazmat).
- Issuance of first-time driver's license or state ID.
- Renewal of CDL licenses. (Renewal of all other licenses must be done online or by mail. Conversion of any license to Real ID is temporarily paused unless a branch visit is required otherwise.)
- Replacement (because of loss) of enhanced driver's licenses only. (Other licenses can be replaced through online services.)
Title transfers (motor vehicles only.)
- Corrections or additions to titles are temporarily paused.
Testing (operator, CDL, chauffeur, mechanic or motorcycle.)
- Recreational vehicle testing is temporarily paused.
Notary services for Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission applications
The state also notes that existing appointments that do not meet the above criteria may be cancelled.
Online services, a self-serve kiosk locator and appointment scheduler can be found and Michigan.gov/SOS. Appointments can also be made by calling 888-SOS-MICH.