Most Ridiculous Excuses For a Sick Day [Audio]
Every once in a while, we all just need that extra day off and break out our best fake cough in order to call in sick.
While it’s important to make your excuse sound believable in order to not get caught, some people apparently didn’t get the memo.
In fact, thanks to social media, more and more people are getting caught faking a sick day.
One in four employers have actually gone on Twitter or other social media accounts and discovered the truth, with one in five bosses firing a worker who was caught lying.
While lying to get a day off could be bad for your career, the more outrageous lies are certainly good for a laugh. Careerbuilder.com talked to over 2,000 hiring managers and HR professionals to find out the most outrageous excuses ever given for a day off, and some of them are just ridiculous.
The Most Unbelievable Excuses for Calling In Sick
When asked to share the most dubious excuses employees have given for calling in sick, employers reported hearing the following real-life examples:
- Employee just put a casserole in the oven.
- Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some "tweaking" to get it just right.
- Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood, up she fell and broke her ankle.
- Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
- Employee woke up in a good mood and didn't want to ruin it.
- Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
- Employee got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn't get out.
- Employee had a gall stone they wanted to heal holistically.
- Employee caught their uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
- Employee accidentally got on a plane.
We decided to test some lame excuses for missing work by calling a place we don't even work at.